Thursday, May 31, 2007

My Knee... and the upcoming surgery

Went to see the Orthopedic Surgeon today. Not really surprised that I need surgery. It is scheduled for Monday, June 11 at 730am.

I have moderately severe Patellar Tracking Disorder. My kneecaps do not slide up and down as they should, they pull outwards. Due to my previous knee injuries, the ligaments & tendons surrounding the kneecap are stretched out. Each time my knee has popped out of joint, the underside of my kneecap has been scraping the other bones and causing premature arthritis.

The surgery will consist of this:
A 3" incision under my knee. They will be cutting off my tendon and reattaching it with a screw (that I will have forever) in the center. They will be tightening my ligaments at the top of my knee. And, they will be grinding down the underside of my kneecap. I will have a catheter installed in my knee.

Post-surgery:
I will be on crutches for about 6-8 weeks. For two weeks, 6 hours a day, I will be on a CPM (Continuous Passive Motion Machine) which is a machine with a foot brace that gently and slowly move my knee. The catheter they are putting in will be connected to a pain pump. It will dispense meds directly into the knee for pain. We will be having to fork out $320 for a Polar Care Unit which is a new version of an ice pack. You strap the large pad onto the knee (like a brace but thick like an ice pack), a hose connects between the pad and an ice chest. Inside the ice chest is a pump and ice water. Once plugged in, the ice water circulates around the injury without the "ice burn" you get from a pack. It also weighs less and keeps less pressure on the injury. I would be wearing it non-stop for the first few days, during all CPM sessions, after all therapy sessions, and anytime there is swelling or pain. Oh, and I also get a fancy robotic knee brace. All these fancy contraptions and whositwhat's will cost a mere $800!!! And that doesn't include paying for the surgery or anesthesiologist!!! WooHoo!!!

So... that's what's going down. Just thought I would let everyone know (and this is by far easier than calling everyone)

Does anyone want a free trip to Texas to help take care of me &/or the kids???? We are desperate... especially since it is short notice and I'm going to be out of commission for a while. PLEASE!

2 comments:

Jeannett said...

You poor girl! But as awful as it is, hopefully, you'll feel ages better once it's all done! I wish I could come out there to help you, but alas, my eight month pregnant butt needs to be near my midwife! :(

Anonymous said...

I'll come out!! When do you need me?? Can I bring the kids?? Or better yet.. can I keep them at home! Ha!! :)

Wow, that sounds pretty extensive.. sorry you have to deal with all that. But I'm sure you're well aware that in the end, things will be a tons better and you'll be glad you went through all that! :)